Updated: May 5, 2020
Overall Time: 1 hour
This grilled cheese recipe is one of our all-time favorites! One, because it’s a unique take on the grilled sandwich that goes way beyond the days of Kraft singles and white bread. Two, it is really really tasty!
As you can see from the picture, it can be a bit of an ooey gooey mess, but with three types of cheese (including cream cheese!), the zest of sweet peppers, and the zing of Creole mustard – this is one grilled cheese that will wow your family, impress your guests, and have everyone coming back for more.
– 6 tablespoons of butter, softened– 1 sweet onion, sliced– 2 tablespoons finely chopped roasted red bell pepper– 1 1/2 teaspoons cane sugar– 1/8 teaspoon Cajun seasoning– 4 tablespoons spicy red pepper jelly– 4 1/2 tablespoons cane syrup– 1/2 teaspoon creole mustard– 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard– 8 slices sourdough bread– 8 slices smoked gouda cheese– 8 slices Monterrey Jack– 4 ounces cream cheese
1. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Add onion, bell pepper, sugar, and Cajun seasoning. Stir occasionally and for 25 minutes (or until very brown).
2. In a small bowl, mix pepper jelly, cane syrup, and both mustards. Spread mixture on 4 bread slices.
3. Place two slices Gouda over the jelly and mustard mixture. Then, top with cooked onion mixture, plus 2 slices of Jack cheese.
4. Grab remaining four bread slices and spread with cream cheese. Place cream cheese side down on Jack cheese.
5. Generously spread butter outside of all sandwiches.6. Heat cast iron skillet (or frying pan if you don’t have a skillet) a little above medium.
6. Cook sandwiches for 4 minutes per side or until bread is crisp and cheese is melted.
7. Serve immediately. Enjoy!